Wednesday, September 29, 2010

SIDE CHALLENGE #1

My 30 day goal is to exercise at least 250 minutes per week for 30 days. My HOPE is to build a good exercise habit and continue exercising beyond the 30 day mark. However, my ultimate GOAL is to lose weight. While exercising for 250 minutes per week is sure to get me on my way to losing those unwanted pounds, it's not going to do much good if I don't create a calorie deficit.

Please understand that calorie restriction is my Achilles heel. I struggle. I struggle big time. The thought of weeks upon weeks of eating in a certain calorie range takes it toll on me. I understand that in order to see continuous results this is something I'm going to have to do for quite some but sometimes baby steps are the best way to get things going. So maybe I'll just take it week by week.

So, to ensure that I'm going to see a loss, my side challenge is going to be staying within a certain calorie range. My goal is to stay within 1300 - 1400 calories for one week starting on Day 8 of my Exercise challenge (Saturday October 2nd).

I'm choosing the lower end of the calorie range because earlier this summer I had my metabolism tested by a registered dietitian and I'm sad to report I have a lousy metabolism. My tested RMR (resting metabolic rate) is only 1238. That's about 20% less than what it should be. In fact, the RD told me that in order to lose decent weight I would have to eat in the LOWER half of the 1200's - possibly even lower. I don't feel comfortable doing that so I'm trusting on good old exercise to see me the rest of the way.

In any case, I haven't really tested my new findings til now. So, this Saturday, I will weigh myself and then we'll see what one week of calorie restriction and 250 minutes of exercise will do. And hopefully, I will see some results!

The Side Challenge:
Calorie Restriction

The goal:
1300 - 1400 for one week

Start date:
October 2, 2010

End date:
October 9, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
30 Days to ... by JH is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.