Wednesday, October 20, 2010

I Want Candy

Day 1 without my sugar is over and gone. Honestly, it wasn't so bad. In anticipation for this week I made a batch of butternut squash soup on Monday night and so I was very excited to have that for my lunch yesterday. I kind of threw 2 recipes together and did my own thing. I was pleased with the outcome. I basically roasted butternut squash, onions, celery, carrots, a sweet potato and then slowly simmered them in some vegetable stock and then let my immersion blender have its way with them and voila! Soup. When I try new recipes I get really excited and that becomes the focus of my day. It's kind of a nice distraction really. Also, when I got home for the day I wasn't feeling so hot so I wasn't really in the mood to eat anything. Maybe that also had something to do with it as well :)

What did I eat?

Breakfast: spinach, onion, ham, egg, on whole wheat english muffin.

Lunch: butternut squash soup with dollop of fage 0% greek yogurt on top

Snack: salad: romaine, carrots, cucumbers, gala apple w/ dressing

Dinner: roasted chicken and sweet potatoes with seasonings and EVOO


I came in at the lower end of my calorie range without really trying and I was pleasantly satisfied the whole day. What I'm really hoping for in this week long challenge is to open myself up to more vegetables in my daily eating. I still probably eat more than the average person but I want to add more to my diet. I also want to curb my sugar craving. Lately it's been worse than it's ever been. I've been craving cakes and cookies and candy like I never have before so I'm really trying to get a handle on that.

It's pretty well documented that sugar has ill effects on the body and overall health. If you're wondering exactly what kinds of bad things, just type "sugar and health" into google and have at it. You'll see all kinds of studies. As in most things regarding the human body and health, there are differing opinions on the subject. However, I've decided that the amount I've been eating can only be described as OVERLOAD. I've read tons of online articles about detoxing from sugar and cleansing yourself of this deadly flavor but in all honestly, I just want to find a balance. I want to be able to go to a friend's house for dinner and partake in whatever they make and not worry about "ruining" anything. I want to be able to be on a vacation with my family or friends and not be the one to yell out "I can't eat there!". I would like to have balance. That on any given, normal occasion, I'm going to reach for the vegetables, fruits, lean proteins and whole wheat products, but on the occasion that's out of my control, I'm just going to go with the flow and not get bent out of shape over it.

Balance.


Exercise Challenge:
60 / 250 minutes week 3

1 comment:

  1. Your soup sounds divine, even though I have never had squash soup; gonna have to try it. I love that you added all those other veggies! And congratulations on your good eating, JH! :) I've been finding lots of healthy, sweet treat recipes online, especially via Prevention magazine which comes to my email~ hope you find the perfect sweet to satisfy and not jeopardize your efforts! :D

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
30 Days to ... by JH is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.