Monday, November 22, 2010

Holiday Road

That time of year is upon us again. I can't believe it's going to be Thanksgiving in THREE days! Amazing how time flies. This weekend I did the grocery shopping and got everything for my Turkey Day Feast. I'm only planning on cooking for two which makes for an incredibly easy shopping venture. I had decided awhile back that I was not going to try to do anything different for the holiday eating wise. I was going to prepare the usual suspects and enjoy them along with everyone else on Thursday. However, I do have a plan for everything else. I'm going to "frame" Thanksgiving Day healthfully. I wish I could take credit for this one but I got it from the Biggest Loser. What it means is that on the days leading up to the big day I'm going to make sure that I get my exercise in, get my good sleep in and get my fruits and veggies in. And ON Thanksgiving, I'm going to get in my workout (hello 5K) and then once it's time to eat, I'm going to sit back, relax and enjoy the time with my loved ones. Then once Friday hits, it's back to the grind. See? I'm "framing" the holiday.

I was very intrigued by this idea. I have a tendency to feel like if I take a day off I might as well take the weekend off. Not a good mentality. And I especially don't want to do that for Thanksgiving because I have a 4 day weekend. I could do some damage on a 4 day weekend :)

3 days to Thanksgiving also means 3 days to my 5k. I registered over the weekend so that I don't have to be there at 6am. I'm excited. I know I said I wasn't going to run but something snapped last Wednesday. I just got sick of my foot hurting and interfering with my running. It's not a severe, I have to go to the doctor right now pain. It's a: this doesn't hurt enough to do anything other than annoy me pain. It's been extremely frustrating and I got fed up. Also, it hit me that no matter what, walk or run, I signed up so I was finishing the race. And I knew without a shadow of a doubt I wouldn't be happy unless I was running. Even if it was only a portion. Unfortunately, I hadn't run or done anything to "train" since the first week of this month. So, on Wednesday, I set up 3 training sessions to see what I could do. I did my last run today and managed to run just over 2 miles solid. Not bad for a week's time huh? So, tomorrow if I work out at all I'll do either light walking or some other non-weight bearing exercise. Just something light. Wednesday will be a complete rest day and then Thursday we'll see what happens :)

And for my reward, I get to eat Thanksgiving dinner.

Not a bad trade off at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
30 Days to ... by JH is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.