Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Oops, Break’s Over

So I took a little breather from writing. I ALSO took a breather from eating right. Man, did I take a breather.

My birthday was yesterday so last week I told myself that since my birthday is so close to Halloween I would combine the two and allow myself to have some treats on Halloween. The deal was, Sunday I’d indulge but come Monday, I would go back to healthier eating.

Everything was business as usual until Sunday. Then on Sunday, in lieu of cake for my birthday I chose my favorite donuts and for my dinner I chose my favorite pizza. I went to bed Sunday night feeling HORRIFIC. I felt bloated and just full of yuck. Though my taste buds thought everything was all good, my stomach was very angry at me and before I went to sleep I told my boyfriend “never again.” Monday came and I was still sick at work for the better part of the morning. It was definitely a result of the food I ate the night before.

I got through the rest of the work day eating normally, but when I got home that evening, it hit me. I wanted pizza. I wanted it bad. So, I ate 2 slices that were left over from the evening before. I had it in the calorie bank so I said “Why not?”. Bad idea. It just led to Tuesday. This time, I used the “but it’s my birthday” excuse. I got through work eating all the proper foods and journaling everything. I even planned my dinner. Everything was going great and then I got home. I wanted a Big Mac and French fries. I told my boyfriend what I wanted. He hesitantly asked if I was sure because he knew about my plan. I pulled the “but it’s my birthday” card. Seriously, how can you say no to that?

I got my Big Mac and French fries. It was so strange. I was eating this giant burger and French fries and I was almost finished when I looked at him and said “Why am I still hungry?” And I was. I couldn’t believe that I was eating all this food and was still hungry. Then I took a second to consider the nutritional value of WHAT I was eating. It made sense.

Once again, I went to bed and I felt HORRIFIC. I woke up this morning and I felt HORRIFIC. In fact, I still feel horrific. Just bloated and gross. I KNOW it’s because of what I’ve been eating. If indulging is going to lead to three days of this, I don’t want it. I would trade all the bad food I’ve eaten in the past 3 days for how I felt on Saturday in a SECOND.

However, lesson learned. My body was used to eating low fat, whole foods and once I introduced these processed, sugary foods into the mix it fought back. And that’s a GOOD thing. My body is telling me that I definitely don’t need this crap in my system. So, next time, I’m going to take it easy on myself. Maybe I’ll have just ONE treat at a time. Not a whole meals worth. I also will have some ammunition on hand for when the cravings hit. You know, some healthy alternatives to the pizza and hamburgers I will inevitably want. :)

1 comment:

  1. A treat once in awhile is definitely not going to make you sick. Notice, I said "a" treat. I had a danish last week. About every 4 months I have a donut or a danish but never 3 donuts or 2 danishes like I used to have. If I were to eat 3 donuts now, I would be bouncing off the walls.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
30 Days to ... by JH is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.