Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Weight Watchers Week 4: Month 1

This Friday is my fourth weigh-in on Weight Watchers.  That means I've now been following the plan almost one month and I can't believe how much I've taken to this program.

And this isn't my first time trying Weight Watchers.

I first went on the program in 2003.  I used it for about 3 months and lost 15 pounds.  I got tired of it and went on to use a food journal, while counting calories, and working out HARD and I lost another 30 pounds.  Then, about 2 years ago, I moved in with my boyfriend and proceeded to gain around 20-25 of those pounds back.  Around Christmas of 2010, I knew I needed to reel it in, so I tried a free 2 week trial of Weight Watchers and just wasn't having it.  I just didn't want anything to do with counting points.

Instead I went back to to the food journal, counting calories, and working out religiously since it was how I was so successful with the 30 pounds I had lost on my own.  But, sometimes, what you did before to lose weight doesn't always work a second time so I knew I needed a new plan.  Then, one month ago, without seeing a commercial or an ad on the internet, I went straight to the WW website and signed up for 3 months of their online program.  No free trial this time, I just plopped down the money, a little nervously mind you, and wished for the best.  And for whatever reason, something clicked.

Thank goodness.

It's not all gumdrops and lollipops.  There are days when it's just plain HARD but nothing worthwhile yadda yadda yadda.  You know the drill.

Anyway, the point is.  I'm hopeful for the future.  Even with the bad weeks that will be inevitably mixed in with the good weeks, I'm hopeful that I'll reach my 10% target weight by the dawn of the first day of 2013.

Very hopeful.


My parents and my brother and sister-in-law were in town this past week, and man does my family like to eat.  I was actually stressing this visit because I give my guests complete control over where we eat, how often we eat, and what we eat.  And when the majority of your meals come from restaurants, it gets pretty hard.  I made a deal with myself though.  I told myself that when they chose a place that A) I got to eat at frequently or B) was a cuisine I wasn't a big fan of, I would just chose the most practical thing on the menu.  You know, a vegetable or salad with some sort of protein with dressing on the side, drink lots of water, and just enjoy being there with them.  And when they chose something that was new and exciting to me, I would give myself some leeway to enjoy the food as well as the company.  And when that happened, I automatically found a way to eat the rest of my meals as sensibly as possible.

I also tried to work out as hard as possible every single day to bank as many APs as possible.

I have to say, I think I did EXTREMELY well.  Every day, I ate breakfast and lunch on my own and enjoyed dinner with my family.  Yeah, I had some high point days but I logged everything.  Even when my mom bought these wheat thin crackers that are like CRACK I logged it.  Man, those little thing take some major points.

I stuck to my plan all the way until the end.  And then I dropped them off at the airport and went back to my empty house.

And I ate pizza for dinner.  I knew I was going over my points for the week but I didn't care.  I was exhausted from the trip and sad that they were gone and had absolutely no desire to cook anything.  I grabbed the left over pizza in the fridge, sat down with my dog and ate dinner by myself.

It was delicious.   I can't remember the last time I was that bone tired.

I just updated my log and it says that I am -20 points for the week so far (and that negative number is ALL from last night's pizza dinner).  However, I plan on working out today, tomorrow and friday and earning some, if not all, of those 20 points back. 

However, there is a lesson to be learned.  Since my family was here during the weekend, I didn't get to make my scheduled weekend run to the grocery store so I didn't have an "exit strategy" for when they left.  Next time I have out of town visitors (which will be in December) I will make sure to stash something healthy in the fridge or freezer so that I don't have to think or cook, I can just grab and be on track.

Regardless of what my weigh-in says on Friday, I'm super proud of how I did while they were here and how I made my goal to get healthy a priority over the food.  Mostly ;)



Today's Menu:

B:  Skinny Vanilla Latte + Whole Wheat English Muffin + Lite Cream Cheese
L:  Reduced Guilt Baked Zitit + Apple + Carrots
D:  probably a trip to Trader Joe's

WW Weigh-Ins:

Week 1:  -2.8
Week 2:  -1.8
Week 3:  -1.2
Week 4:  *fingers crossed*


Total Lost Since July 6th:  -10.6


No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
30 Days to ... by JH is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.