Friday, December 7, 2012

Weight Watchers Weigh In: Week 12

Yup week 12.

You know what that means?  When I joined in September I bought 3 months so that means it will be renewing in a week.

Time really flew.

I lost 3 pounds this week.  I'm shocked and amazingly pleased.  Shocked because I was sick for the first half of the week.  I didn't eat crazy or anything, I just didn't get to work out at all.  I was super tired all week long, but it was actually a nice little break.  I'm pretty sure I'm all good to go back to the gym but honestly, it's HARD to get back into the swing of things after a break.  Especially this time of year.  There are so many things going on it makes my head spin.

I have 2 Christmas parties on Saturday.  Yes, that's TWO on the same day.  I'm already tired just thinking about it.  The first is a sit down dinner and the second is a cocktail party.  I'm doing my best to prepare for the day.  I've decided to eat as many power foods as I can leading up to the events.   I will DEFINITELY be eating before the dinner because the less hungry I am leading into a sit down dinner the better.  It's a German Christmas Dinner.  I've seen the menu and it is amazing.  It's got dumplings, turkey, stuffing, red cabbage, and other wonderfully rich things.  I know the host and I know how much butter will be going into each of those dishes.  She always makes an amazing meal and if it was the only party of the evening I wouldn't have to be so stringent but alas, it is not.  Once I maneuver that meal, I've got alcohol and even more food to worry about.  Alcohol has crazy points.  You're looking at around 4 points minimum for one beverage.  That can add up pretty quickly.  In addition, the host of the cocktail party has informed me there will be a table full of wonderful goodies and treats.  Now, when you have a cocktail, or two, what comes next?  Mindless eating.  Oh yeah, it's going to be a tough night.

So what to do?  Have a plan.  Here's mine:

Leading up to the party:
1.  Eat a good breakfast with as many zero point items as I can.  I'm going to do an egg white omelet with lots of veggies and then add turkey to up the protein.   This is what I've been eating this week for breakfast and it's been keeping me nice and full til lunch.  I think I can swing it one more before I get completely sick of it ;)  Once I add coffee, I'm looking at 3 points for breakfast.  Not bad.
2.  Workout!  Get in a good workout.  Since I've been off for a week I should be good for a nice long workout.  However, I've learned to not push it too hard.  When I workout too much, I get crazy hungry.  Balance baby!  Whatever AP I earn, I'm planning on using this evening.
3.  Snack on fruit and vegetables post workout. I already have a bag of cut of veggies, apples and kiwi in the fridge ready to snack on.  Add 1 TB of lite ranch and it's a 1 point snack.
4.  Eat a good lunch.  We have some errands to run so I'm thinking we'll hit a Panera Bread for lunch.  I've already gone online to their calculator and figured out lunch.  I'll get the You Pick Two:  Classic Salad (0 points) with dressing on the side and only use half (1 point for half dressing) and then the Broccoli Cheddar soup and choose the apple for the side.  Total points for lunch:  6 points.
5.  Before we leave, have a small snack if I'm hungry.  Raw veggies with dip.  Apple with some cheese.  Something like that.  The goal:  keep points low but filling.  Around 2 points if any.

That way I'm heading into the night of a thousand parties eating 10-12 points which leaves me with:

-15-17 daily points left
-however many APs I earned (hopefully around 5-8)
-And Weekly Points

I've told myself I want to use no more than 10 weekly points for Saturday.  We'll see.  I'll have all 49 points because I just rolled over today but I don't want to have a free for all and then struggle the rest of the week.

So roughly 30 - 35 points for the evening

At Party #1:

1.  Have a glass of prosecco (she always serves it) - already looked it up, 4 ounces (1/2 cup) is 3 points.  Here's a fun fact for you:  a classic champagne flute holds around 6-7 ounces of liquid so when they pour mine, I'll just stop them around the 4 ounce mark which should be around the halfway point.  Or better yet, I'll pour my own.  Total points: 3 points (note:  3 points for 4 ounces, 7 points for 8 ounces darn you Weight Watchers!!)

2.  Take minimal amounts of each food.  I'm a master of eyeballing portion sizes.  Years of measuring with cups and spoons will do that.  I'm going to take about a 1/4 cup of everything that appeals to me and try to get around 4-5 ounces of white meat turkey to fill up on protein.  I'd say I'd fill up on veggies, but I'm pretty sure they will be deliciously covered in butter.  I've researched each dish I know will be on the menu and if I stick to my 1/4 cup portion sizes I'm looking at 13-16 points for food.  One good thing about her dinner parties:  it's always just enough food for everyone to have a small portion of everything.  There is usually never enough to go around for lots of seconds.  This will work in my favor ;)
3.  Leave party #1 down as much as 13-19 points

At Party #2:

1.  Arrive hopefully with no desire to eat!  At least not right away ;)
2.  Cocktails like rum and diet coke run 4 points a pop.  That's not so bad.  I'm going to stick to just a couple of drinks and choose diet mixers.  2 rum and diet cokes = 8 points
3.  While I have my cocktails, keep moving around the party and stay away from the food tables.  It's too easy to grab and eat without paying attention.  Besides, I'm there to mingle not eat dinner cause I already did that!
4.  If I do get hungry, stick to protein.  At this party, the host is known for smoking all sorts of meats.  If I must eat, I'll stay away from the cookies and treat myself to some delicious meat.  When I do eat, I'll grab a plate (no grab and eat!) and make myself aware of how much I'm putting on the plate.  Best guess:  3 ounce meat = 4 points (add additional 3 points for condiments or additional food)
5.  Leave Party #2 down around 15 points.

This is my plan.  I'm going to do my best to stick to it and remind myself, it's not about the food, it's about spending time with these people and celebrating.

Today's Menu:

B:  turkey + cheese + veggies + egg + egg white + coffee
S:  carrot + broccoli + celery + grape tomato + light ranch + kiwi + apple
L:  chili
D:  ??













No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
30 Days to ... by JH is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.