Monday, January 14, 2013

Mid Week Update: The Hunger Pains

I made it through yet another weekend.  I had one minor snafu.  Saturday I was sidelined for almost half a day with what seemed like a sinus/migraine/tension headache.  It was the perfect storm of headaches.

My upper back and neck had tons of knots causing the tension headache.  I had a stuffy nose helping along the sinus headache and I hadn't eaten anything but a sweet potato in 24 hours which just gave me a headache.  And all three together probably equaled a migraine.  I had so much medicine running through my veins trying to alleviate the pain it was incredible.  But nothing helped, just time.  And eating.

Which brings me to something I've realized over the past half week or so.  I don't get hungry.  I mean, I get hungry but it's not a hunger I'm used to.  I used to get the growling stomach/hunger pains then the rush of "Oh my God if I don't eat something like right NOW I'm positive I'm going to DIE" pain that propelled me to grab anything in sight.  Seriously, it was a force to be reckoned with.

But I don't get that anymore and thus I forget to eat sometimes.  Hence, the 24 hours with only a sweet potato under my belt that contributed to my headache.  I've had to learn to look for other signals from my body to eat.  I mean, once I started looking for the hunger I found it, it just doesn't feel like it used to.  It's really, really subtle and thus I only need to eat small amounts to satisfy it.  Weird right?  I don't know how long it took for my hunger to change all I know is I'm glad it has.  There was nothing I hated more than coming home from work ravenous with all sorts of food thoughts running through my mind.  I'd forget about the healthy meal that was waiting for me in the fridge and I'd go order something that was most definitely not good for me.  You know, thai food or gnocchi or pizza.  I haven't had that happen yet.  Knock on wood.

So this week's goal is to listen for my own special hunger cues.    Because if I don't - it's not pretty.

Today's Menu:

B:  SMOOTHIE:  coconut milk + pea rice protein + hemp seed + frozen strawberries
L:  cream of vegetable soup
D:  french ratatouille + baked cod + jasmine rice

I made the soup and fish/rice/ratatouille last night.  I'm pretty sure both recipes are going to be keepers.  Especially the ratatouille.  It's amazing.  I made it because Trader Joe's has this individual frozen meal Cod Provencale with Ratatouille and Rice and I LOVE it.  Like crazy love it.  However, when I read the ingredients there was one, tiny, ingredient that I wasn't sure about and so to be safe, I decided to just make it myself.  Tonight will be my first time having it so hopefully, it's a winner.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
30 Days to ... by JH is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.