Monday, January 7, 2013

Weight Watchers Weeks 14, 15 and 16

It's been 3 weeks since last I posted.  Man, those holidays just kind of get away from you don't they?

What's been going on you ask?

Well, I had my House Guests and I stuck to my plan.  Of course I made adjustments here and there for food choices but the plan really held together.  In fact, it almost went down EXACTLY as I had planned so I came out almost completely unscathed.  Almost.  And in case anyone is wondering, we only had TWO Krispy Kreme visits.  Yeah, I got lucky.

I'm telling you people, if you haven't tried it before try it now.  If you have a vacation or party or whatever, just plan out in advance what you're going to do in as much detail as you can.  That way, once you're in the situation you don't have to really think you just act.

Moving on. . . .

You know what I didn't really plan for?  Christmas.  We had a really great holiday this year.  Lots of good friends, good food, and good times.  Did I mention good food ? ;)

Which brings me to the 3 last weeks of Weigh-Ins:

Week 14:  +2.8
Week 15:  +4
Week 16:  -1.6

Want to know what happened during weeks 14 and 15?  I ate a lot of bad, processed food, I did NOT workout and I enjoyed some Christmas candy.

Why so much processed food?  Well, we kind of were having our "last meals" as it were .... 

In this new year that is 2013, I've implemented some changes in my life.  I briefly mentioned it about a month ago at the end of this post here.  I was all vague and mysterious-like because honestly, I hate talking about different ways of eating (ie:  calorie counting, low carb, paleo, gluten free etc) because I find some people can get very ... what's the word I'm looking for ... impassioned perhaps.  But the fact of the matter is that after much discussion with my significant other, we both decided we needed to make some major dietary changes in our lives.  We are very active people.  We love to exercise and eat healthy but we also ate fast food and crazy meals on the weekends like we were still in college.  But alas, we are not in college, we're in our mid 30s and eating that way hasn't been that effective for us.  The weight has been creeping on the both of us and it's not coming off as easy as it used to.  Also, aches and pains have started to become the norm for the pair of us.  We're too young for that!  So after randomly watching a program on PBS and doing a bit of reading/research we decided to make some major changes.  We're just at the point in our lives where we want to be the best versions of ourselves for each other.  Not to mention that now is the time to make those changes and maybe ward off unwanted medical problems as we get much older.

So on January 2 we started. What are we eating?  Whole foods.  Mainly lean proteins, vegetables and fresh fruit.  *GASP*  Shocker right?  As for grains, we've cut out wheat/gluten but are eating rice and quinoa and maybe even amaranth if I ever buy it.  Dairy got the axe which has been an interesting culinary adventure.  And finally, sugar, artificial sweeteners and natural sweeteners all got the boot as well. 

I'm pretty much cooking everything and may I say, I'm crazy proud of what I've come up with in the kitchen.  Some tasty stuff indeed.  We are on day 6 and so far so good.  I feel good and I have a feeling that's only going to get better.  I've also lost a little over 5 pounds since I started.  Please keep in mind the food we ate leading up to this was post holiday bliss food so don't put too much stock in that 5 pounds of what is obviously water weight.

Also, a bonus to changing my diet, my daily points go a LONG ways.  No hungry here.
 
So that's what I've been doing with my new year.

And here's today's menu:
B:  coconut milk + pea rice protein + blackberries + hemp seeds
L:  chicken vegetable soup + apple + almond butter
D:  roasted chicken salad lettuce wrap + roasted sweet potato fries + fancy sauce (soy free vegenaise with real ketchup)

PS:  I forgot to take my snack to work today.  But it's usually crudites with hummus.  Also, just so you know, I made my own stock for the chicken soup.  I'd never done it before.  Yes, it's time consuming but I can honestly say that's the best freakin' soup I've ever made.  EVER! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
30 Days to ... by JH is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.