Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Whole30: Days 1 - 7

Today is Day #8 for my Whole30.

What can I say? 

So far so good.  I don't want to jump the gun here but it honestly hasn't been that bad.  I have obviously had some cravings.  I'd imagine that everyone who tries this has them.  But it hasn't been anything I haven't been able to handle.  I do tend to text my boyfriend some days - and the text will consist of 2 words.

Milky Way.

My cravings are still for that elusive, mysterious Milky Way. 

But other than that candy bar, I haven't really been dying to eat anything.


The weeks before I began, I took the time to prepare.  I talked to my boyfriend about potential meals, things he would want, things I would want, things that I would need to take the time to learn how to cook.  I had menus scribbled down for moments of inspiration and recipes galore waiting in my email.  I already had the dairy/gluten free cooking thing down so everything else seemed to fall in place.

The day before I began, I did a ton of grocery shopping and cooking.  Actually, it's what I usually do every weekend.  On a typical week, we go shopping around midnight (yes, midnight) on Friday night to get the bulk of our groceries.  That way on Saturday and Sunday it's just running to get the smaller items that are in specialty stores.  And then on Sunday, I cook.  If he can help me he does (he's a whiz at chopping) but usually I just take a few hours out of my day and cook away.  And the best part?  Since I cook, he cleans.  Can't beat that deal.

I then package everything.  We have a his and hers side of the fridge.  That way, come Monday when I'm rushing to get to work, I just go to my side and grab something and I'm good for breakfast and lunch.  And when I get home, dinner is waiting.  When I cook a meal I tend to make sure it'll last for at least 2 meals a piece.  Doing this really helps cut down on cost.  I don't know how some people can afford to cook a new meal every single day. 

Since we don't eat any of our meals together Monday thru Friday (completely opposite work schedules), it works for us.  He can eat whatever he wants, in whatever amounts he wants.  If he wants to supplement food, he goes to the grocery store and buys fruits and veggies to cook on his own. 

And then usually on Wednesday after work, I'll cook an additional meal that usually satisfies both lunch and dinner to pad the food we already have to get us to the weekend.  I really like to limit the amount of time that is spent cooking because lets be real, every meal needs to be prepared in the kitchen to make sure you're following the guidelines.  Again, I've been doing this for the both of us since January of this year so I'd like to think I've got it down pat.

What also helps is that back in May, I started ordering meat from U.S. Wellness.  I wanted us to start eating the majority of our protein from grassfed/finished sources regardless, so that was just kind of a lucky stroke since they also offer Whole30 approved bacon and other sugar free meat options.  To be honest, these items are really, really hard to find in grocery stores.  And after cost comparison shopping for these items at grocery stores, the prices really do stack up well. 

So that's how this whole gambit is running in my household. 

I started my exercise regime last Saturday (the 13th) and haven't had any problems with stamina or anything.  Actually, I didn't even really give it a thought.  I also took my measurements and before pictures on that day.  And as far as weight goes, I'm breaking the rules and weighing myself.  And so far, I have nothing out of the ordinary to report.  I've held steady everyday and am in an increase right now due to my upcoming time of the month.  My clothes also are holding steady. 

But lets talk about how I feel for a second.  Oh, I'd say I feel pretty good.  Like really good.  I'm not ready to go out and fight a bull or anything.  But I think something can be said for when you eat wholesome foods.  It just gives you an all around good feeling. 

Now for what I need to work on:  I need to get more sleep.  I know I'm supposed to be logging the hours while doing this but I'm not quite there yet.  I'm going to do my best this week to set my bedtime earlier and stick with it.  I'm going to try for 11pm.  That will give me 8 hours of shut eye. 

And now for what we ate:

Week #1:

Breakfasts:

Quiche Muffins:  onion, tomato, mushrooms, sausage

Sweet Potato Hash:  onion, yellow pepper, orange pepper, sausage, sweet potatoes

Lunches/Dinners:

Creamy Chicken and Artichoke Soup:  chicken, artichoke, red pepper, onion, carrot, celery, onion, coconut milk (canned)

Balsamic Marinated Skirt Steak:  (marinade = balsamic vinegar, garlic, rosemary) + sauteed zucchini and mushrooms

Pan Fried Salmon and Peach Salsa:  salsa = peach, tomato, onion, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, apple cider vinegar, cucumber

Grass Fed Hamburger Patty:  on grilled onions, sauteed mushrooms, lettuce, tomato, mayo, and side salad with balsamic


And that's it so far.  7 Days down, 23 to go.  Next thing you know, I'm going to be halfway there!

Today's Menu:
B:  paleo casserole:  sweet potatoes, eggs, coconut milk, sausage, caramelized onions
L:  beef medallions, portabello mushrooms, peppers, on spinach salad
D:  hamburger mushroom stroganoff, cauliflower rice




No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
30 Days to ... by JH is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.