Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Whole30: Days 8 - 14

I am officially halfway thru my Whole30 as today is Day #16.

Well, this past week both my boyfriend (who is doing this with me) and I had some pretty interesting conversations regarding our Whole30s.

We got angry.

Yup.

Angry.

The first week I had my cravings for a Milky Way - they weren't super fun but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle.

Enter the second week.

According to the Whole30 timeline, days 8-15 are the moments of: "Boundless energy! Now give me a damn Twinkie"

I've read this timeline many times hoping to gain some insight into what I should expect and while I had this info beforehand I still had no idea why I was so angry.

We were angry because we wanted to eat ... whatever.  We wanted anything that we couldn't have.  My boyfriend just kept saying, "I just want to put slices of bread into my mouth".  We kept talking about quitting just so we could have some random food.  We didn't have any dreams about food but rather very serious conversations about food.  Very serious, angry conversations.

Actually if you were a fly on the wall I'm sure these conversations would have been hilarious.  It's like we were fighting with ourselves for agreeing to do this 30 days.

Then I woke up yesterday (Day 15) and everything was a little calmer.  I didn't feel so angry.  I wasn't completely calm, there was still a little wave of something under there.  But it was nice not to start yelling at him about how unfair life was.  We also started to notice body changes.  My boyfriend just commented yesterday about how he "hasn't been this skinny since high school".  Seriously folks, he started out looking pretty good but now he's got muscles starting to ripple everywhere.  Especially the abs.  I'm actually excited to see what he will look like at the 30 day mark.  I'm gonna be one lucky lady.  As for me, I'm definitely changing but I can't really tell where as I started out more fluffy than he did.  Definitely the stomach area - the poof has shrunken.  I guess the waist in general feels smaller.  When I put my hands on my hips yesterday I noticed that it felt different (in a good way).  My face looks slimmer as well.

Then I woke up today.  And, thank God, today is also better.  It's like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and it's no big deal getting there.  Like seriously, I don't see any problem whatsoever getting to day 30.  In fact, I'm looking forward to the future now that I have some info about what works for me and what doesn't.  You know what works for me?  This way of eating.  My digestion is phenomenal.  I don't really remember any moment in my adult life when I have ever said that.  Also I'd like to think my energy is up but I really can't tell yet.  I've been house-sitting for a friend since Saturday and I haven't really slept yet.  I don't EVER sleep when I'm there because he has 2 dogs that like to bark constantly.  I mean constantly.  Giant dogs that bark like there is an intruder so every night it just jerks you awake because it's that scary kind of bark like something is wrong.  And when I say all night, I mean all night.  I did not want to house sit for him.  I said no so many times because  I knew this was going to happen.  But he persisted and won.  Sigh.  Anyway, another thing I love about life right now is that I'm never starving.  I'm never desperate for food.  I was also this way eating how I ate pre-Whole30 (gluten free, dairy free, soy free with whole foods).  It's one of my most favorite things about going the whole foods route.  Without the processed stuff, you really just feel satisfied and in control of your food choices.

Now, even with all these wonderful things, do I think it's possible to eat this way every day forever?  No.  Perfection is not possible (no matter what type of diet you have) but eating this way the vast majority of the time?  Absolutely.  But only because I like cooking and I'm creative and pretty good at it.  I only say that because, personally, I get really bored with food.  I need variety in order to stay interested.

What have I been eating?

Breakfast:

Paleo breakfast casserole: sausage, onion, eggs, coconut milk (canned), sweet potato

Lunches/Dinner:

Tomato Bisque Soup:  tomatoes, onion, carrot, celery, homemade chicken broth, coconut milk (canned)

Hamburger Mushroom Stroganoff:  grass-fed hamburger, mushrooms, coconut milk, seasonings served with cauliflower rice

Filet Mignon with mashed sweet potatoes, grilled onions and grilled asparagus

Eggs and Bacon

Spinach Salad with clementine slices, carrots and apple cider dressing

Amongst other things ...

Next time we meet, I'll be done with week 3!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
30 Days to ... by JH is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.